It appears that the World Health Organisation (WHO) continues to function under the shadow of the dictates of the Chinese government.
The complacency and dereliction of duty of Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General, WHO is evident when we analyse his role in covering up China’s reluctance to share the truth about the novel coronavirus with the rest of the world.
However after their failure in detecting and preventing the spread of the coronavirus pandemic globally – a health crisis that has so far reported over 12 million infections and over 5,48,000 deaths globally – now the WHO is yet again making a mistake in believing China and its information on the outbreak of the Bubonic plague in Inner Mongolia with the now famous ‘China is managing well’ line.
Chinese authorities in the city of Bayan Nur in Inner Mongolia issued a warning on Sunday, one day after a hospital reported a case of suspected bubonic plague.
It followed four reported cases of plague in people there last November, including two of pneumonic plague, a deadlier variant.
Margaret Harris, spokesperson, WHO told media yesterday that ‘Outbreak of bubonic plague in China is being well managed and is not considered high risk.
“We are monitoring the outbreaks in China, we are watching that closely and in partnership with the Chinese authorities and Mongolian authorities. At the moment we are not considering it high-risk but we are watching it, monitoring it carefully,” Harris stated.
Interestingly authorities in the Chinese region of Inner Mongolia have closed several tourist spots after a case of bubonic plague were confirmed this week. This means that the Chinese authorities are worried about the spread of the Bubonic plague outbreak.
The WHO and its Director-General, Dr Tedros exhibited similar confidence in China during the coronavirus pandemic.
During the declaration of the Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on January 30, 2020, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organisation (WHO) had expressed that we would have seen many more cases outside China by now-and probably deaths – if it were not the government’s (referring to China) efforts and the progress they have made to protect their own people and the people of the world.
Dr Tedros further asserted that the vast majority of cases outside China have a travel history to Wuhan, or contact with someone with a travel history to Wuhan.
Dr Tedros himself at the Global Media briefing on January 30th stated, “It (China) has already done incredible things to limit the transmission of the virus to other countries. And where respect is due, then you don’t punish. Meaning if anyone is thinking about taking measures, it’s going to be wrong. And WHO doesn’t recommend, and actually opposes, any restrictions for travel and trade or other measures against China.”
Dr Tedros had visited China on January 28th and after his return from China, PHEIC was declared on January 30th. China was haloed by Dr Tedros and WHO during the declaration of PHEIC.
Dr Tedros expressed, “I think visiting China was a very important one, which is not a new one. Of course, I did it many times to other countries where there were outbreaks and so on. This one was special because I was able to learn many things from what China is doing. And I’m very confident by what they’re doing. I have seen the capacity, and I believe that they will control this outbreak as soon as possible. They have all the capacity that needs.
But not only what they’re doing is protecting their people, but I know from the figures also, you know that it’s protecting the rest of the world. Outside China we only have 98 cases, and no deaths. If strong measures were not taken in China this would not have happened. And that’s why I also said we have to appreciate what China is doing. And this declaration, is not actually because China is not doing what it can. It’s actually doing more than China is required to do. “
In fact according to German Intelligence (BND) China had urged the World Health Organization to delay a global warning. On January 21, China’s head of state Xi Jinping during a phone call with WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus asked to withhold information about a person-to-person transmission and to postpone a pandemic warning. The WHO was silent for a week.
Both the WHO and China cannot be trusted. The Bubonic plague if it spreads will be yet another major health crisis that the world would need to sit up and take notice.
Dr Tedros! Don’t repeat Coronavirus mistake in outbreak of Bubonic plague blinded by your love for China.